Last Updated on by
I am sure you’ll agree with me on this – A proper time-piece is a sign of aristocracy and elegance. Now comes the question, why are we telling you this?
Well, if you are reading this article, then we can safely assume that you’re one of those gentlemen who has a knack for collecting different timepieces (or watches). Also, we are assuming that each and every collectible in your collection holds a special place in your heart.
And so, comes the need to keep them running. For that, you will need a watch winder. And if you’ve found this article, then we are sure that you will be on your way to find the best watch winder currently available on the market.
Of course, this review will not only be about the specs of the most convenient watch winders you can get your hands on. Throughout the course of this review, we will be taking a journey together to help you meet your match. We won’t just be giving you the best features, we will also help you find out if it’s worth it.
We hope you’ll stick with us until the very end!
- Do You Really Need A Watch Winder?
- Buying Guide: Some General Guidelines
- Watch Winders: Is It Better To Use or Not
- Maintaining a watch winder: Some Important Pointers
- Top-rated Watch Winders: Our Picks
- 1. Versa Automatic Winder Box – Best Rated Overall
- 2. WOLF 270002 Heritage – Best Single Watch Winder
- 3. CHIYODA Winder Case – Best Quad Watch Winder
- 4. JQUEEN Watch Winder – Best Double Watch Winder
- 5. Tripple Tree Watch Box – Watch Winder For Rolex
- 6. Heiden Winder – Best Automatic Watch Winder
- 7. Critiron Watch Winder – Best Value
- 8. Olymbros Wooden Case – Luxury Watch Winder
- Final Words
- Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q)
Do You Really Need A Watch Winder?
There’s one thing you should know! Automatic or kinetic watches will only run better if you are wearing them on a regular basis.
Let me explain:[click_to_tweet tweet=”Automatic or self-winding watches have a winding mechanism within, which helps them run properly. When a watch is worn, the winding mechanism inside swings and rotates.” quote=”Automatic or self-winding watches have a winding mechanism within, which helps them run properly. When a watch is worn, the winding mechanism inside swings and rotates.”]
As such watches depend on this winding mechanism to keep themselves running, it is obvious that they will lose a good chunk of their life if they are not worn fairly regularly.
That’s where a watch winder comes in. It is a device which simulates the human motions, giving the watch the necessary movements in order to maintain the self-winding mechanism.
Now do keep in mind, you don’t need a winder to keep your watch rotating all day. As a winder provides the necessary rotating motion to keep the watch self-winding, the chances of over-winding, though very slim, isn’t out of the question. So, a time-based winder is essential to save your exorbitant timepiece from over-winding.
Now comes the question, do you really need one? Depends on how much you love your watches.
For an enthusiastic collector, keeping his valuable timepieces in check is essentially a religion. So, he or she (it’s a he, for the most part) certainly won’t hesitate to spend a few extra dollars on devices which will keep the watches running. In short, the decision lies with you.
Now, it’s time for us to give you an in-depth look at the winders we have in store for you. Although we do consider each and every one of the products to be in line for the best available watch winder, you may want to pay attention to find which one matches your needs specifically.
Buying Guide: Some General Guidelines
Now that you’ve had a look at some of the best available watch winders, you need to know which one suits your needs more. It is often a dilemma amongst enthusiasts as to which is the best one.
To be honest, there clearly isn’t the right way to tag something like the best all-around watch winder. As a matter of fact, there are certain factors for you to have a closer look at.
Here are some key pointers which may help you find what you’re looking for:
- Precision: A watch winder must be a precise one. As a matter of fact, it should be as precise as your watch. As we probably mentioned earlier, your watch doesn’t need winding 24-hours. A certain time period needs to be set to keep it in pristine condition. For this reason, the number of movement sessions per day is a crucial aspect. Anything less than 900 rounds per day should be more than enough to keep your watch running for a long time.
- Warranty: A watch winder box is a complex piece of hardware. And for being such a complex piece of machinery, it’s prudent that you know its warranty period. Most people, even some enthusiasts tend to overlook this while making a purchase. Any warranty period below 1-year shouldn’t be acceptable. Remember, the more the warranty, the better.
- Single-use or multi-use: Let’s start with a question: What makes the best functioning watch winder for you? The answer is simple, it depends on your use case. You may want to land on a purchase decision by analyzing your use case. For instance, the number of watches you have and how you use them is a prime category to consider before landing on any decision. Also, how often you use your watches is also something to take into consideration. Once you have the answers to these questions, then you can easily decide whether or not you want to go for a single or multi-winding design.
- Size variations: You may have different size watches, which, as an enthusiast, is understandable. And if someone like you is looking for a top-rated watch winder, then you are looking for adjustability. So, you should certainly look for watch winders which have variable mechanisms to accommodate a wide range of sizes, which will obviously make your life a lot easier.
- Safety: The possibility of your watch is exposed to electrical interference or magnetization isn’t always low. Depending on the environment, the possibilities may present themselves to ruin your wonderful timepiece. In order to be safe from such hazards, you may want to go for winders with PU leathering, or any other form of protective shielding. This will certainly keep your watch safe from any unwanted interference. A little extra protection clearly won’t hurt your wallet.
Watch Winders: Is It Better To Use or Not
Here are a few benefits of owning a watch winder.
- Unlike every other piece of delicate machinery, your watch also needs care. As an enthusiast, it is only logical that you’d want your fashion gear to be in top form. In order to achieve that, you may want to get a watch winder, just to keep the clock ticking!
- As a pure enthusiast, it’s not just a possibility, but we are sincerely hoping that you have a good collection. For this reason, it is prudent that you get yourself a multi-dock watch winder. This will not only keep your watch running, but you will also have a way to show-off!
- The overall protection of your precious collection requires a watch winder. Watch winders don’t just keep your watches running, they also offer an extensive amount of protection against dust, scratches, and bleach build up.
Maintaining a watch winder: Some Important Pointers
As a sophisticated piece, your watch winder needs almost the same amount of attention your watches need. Because of the complex nature of watch winders, there are certain things you need to keep in mind to keep keep your watch winders running in the perfect rhythm.
- Keeping the interior clean is the first thing to do
As with all watch winders, the insides may get dusty and moisture may get trapped inside from time to time. In order to clean the nook and crannies precisely, we would recommend you use a lens clean wipe or a single-use clean wipe (you would want to avoid any streak or scratch build up). Storing it in a cool, dry environment is important as well.
- We have the exterior cleaned. Now its time for the exterior
Remember, you are trying the avoid any scratches or streaks. So, using a single-use clean wipe or a microfiber cloth will get the job done. Try to be as precise as possible with the exterior.
- It’s time for the fun part!
Checking the motor mechanism is always a necessity. So, you may want to get to it every six months or so. Also, you may want to check out the exterior layout and screw positions before you get to open the motor housing. This will come in handy when you’re about to close the motor housing.
- The belt of the motor is the heart of all mechanisms inside the watch winder
While you perform your checks make sure to feel your way around the belt for any potential weak spots. Also, look for wear and tear around the edges so that you may be sure of its proper working condition.
- You may be able to fix the basic problems
Changing the belt or checking the internal wiring issues shouldn’t be an issue for most people. But dealing with the motor internals is something entirely different. That’s why you should certainly check out the warranty period before making any purchase decision. Because you really don’t know when and how your motor may fail.
But with motor internals, the problems usually reveal themselves rather quickly. So, you may be able to claim your warranty if you have the chance.
Top-rated Watch Winders: Our Picks
|PRODUCTS||WEIGHT||DIMENSIONS||No. of Turn per day settings|
|VERSA AUTOMATIC SINGLE WATCH WINDER||1.75-pounds||5.8 x 5.8 x 5.8 inches||4(350-650-850-1050)|
|WOLF 270002 HERITAGE SINGLE WATCH WINDER||4.54-pounds||8.9 x 5.4 x 6.8 inches||1(900)|
|CHIYODA AUTOMATIC QUAD WATCH WINDER||9.55-pounds|| 13.9 x 12.3 x 10.4 |
|JQUEEN DOUBLE WATCH WINDER||5.9-pounds||7.1 x 7.1 x 7.9 inches||4|
|TRIPLE TREE WATCH WINDER FOR ROLEX WATCHES||11.8-pounds|| 14 x 12.5 x 16.5 |
|HEIDEN SINGLE WATCH WINDER||4.75-pounds||5.1 x 5.5 x 8.5 inches|| 4(650-950-1250- |
|CRITIRON LUXURY AUTOMATIC WATCH WINDER||11.2-pounds||18 x 13.2 x 13 inches|| 5(650, 900, 1200, |
|OLYMBROS DOUBLE ROTORS WATCH WINDER||8.55-pounds|| 16.5 x 16.3 x 11.2 |
1. Versa Automatic Winder Box – Best Rated Overall
In case you’re looking for the best rated one, then the Versa Automatic Single Watch Winder will obviously be something to look out for.
First of all, the craftsmanship on this watch winder is hands down one of the best you will find. The subtle black interior with a dome-like design gives out a premium feel overall. As far as the design goes, we are really satisfied with what you will be getting for the money.
Now, let’s get down to more important information.
This particular model from Versa has 12-different combinations, combining 4-turns per day and 3-types of rotational settings: clockwise, counterclockwise and bi-directional.
Depending on the settings, the winder will turn your watch for 5-minutes and then execute as per instructions. As the cycle repeats, there is a possibility of over-winding your watch. But the precise workmanship on the device prevents it from happening.
One of the most noteworthy features of this watch winder is the inclusion of a custom-designed gearbox, which clearly is one the best at keeping the noise levels at bay. Also, the Japanese motor is one of the highlights here as well, offering a good and convenient amount of performance straight out of the box.
As far as size accommodation goes, this watch winder is capable of handling it as well. For the most part, you are getting the right sort of accessories to accommodate a good number of watch sizes. Also, the spring action watch pillows do offer a good amount of cushion for your beloved timepiece.
The Versa watch winder is a watch winder that is specifically designed for the most special piece in your inventory. The precise craftsmanship is something that you may have a hard time finding out. In short, a product of such quality is deserving of being the best rated overall.
What we liked
- Features a subtle outer shell.
- Spring action pillows offer good support.
- Accessories for various watch sizes are included in the box.
- Mabuchi motor’s performance is right on point.
- Noise levels are considerably lower with the custom gearbox design.
- The craftsmanship is commendable.
- Comes with a power adapter (100-240V)
What needs improvement
- There are a few issues regarding the overall build.
2. WOLF 270002 Heritage – Best Single Watch Winder
WOLF, as many of you may already know, is one of the best makers out there. There’s a very good reason behind it.
For the most part, this luxury leather company has been on the market for a long time now. As a matter of fact, they have proven to be one of the best the because of their execution and luxurious line of products.
WOLF 270002 is no exception. As a matter of fact, the reasons for calling it the best single watch winder are pretty obvious. The faux leather outer shell is simply one of the best options out there. The feeling of premium quality alongside superior technological features is truly one of a kind. Even the satin linings have a sort of flair to them. Overall, the entire design reeks of luxury and aristocracy.
Now we did mention something about the superior technological features.
First of all, the nylon gears are pretty silent. Without a really faint hum, you can’t really hear anything else. The gearbox design also does its share of work when it comes to keeping the noise down.
One of the key features of 270002 is precision. Almost all other watch winders out there do some sort of estimation to determine the number of rotations. But the 270002 can count the precise number of rotations without any sort of compromise, making it one of the very few accurate options out there.
In case of functionality, you are getting a pre-programmed 900-turns per day setting, alongside 3-rotation settings: clockwise, anti-clockwise and bi-directional. Considering the amount of precision, what you’re getting it should be more than enough. Also, the possibility of over-winding is literally non-existent. Furthermore, we can’t forget to tell you about the lock-in cuff design, which is the reason why this particular model can handle a good variety of sizes.
Overall, this chrome-finished watch winder isn’t something you should use for any ordinary timepiece. The number of features per dollar is certainly worth your time. Also, in case you’re someone who is looking for precision, then this single-winding watch winder is the one to keep on your shopping list.
What we liked
- Superior design with a chrome finish and a glass cover.
- Incorporated faux leather and satin lining flawlessly.
- Precise timing count offering better performance.
- Noise emission is low due to nylon gears.
- Lock-in cuff design can handle watches of varying sizes.
What needs improvement
- The included directions are a bit hazy to understand.
3. CHIYODA Winder Case – Best Quad Watch Winder
The makers at CHIYODA all direct their attention to one thing: Quality embedded with luxury.
This Quad Watch Winder from CHIYODA is no exception. The high-quality wooden design incorporated with a high-gloss lacquer finish gives an overall feeling of excellence and quality. Apart from giving out a sense of elegance, the wooden finish also provides a sufficient amount of safety from magnetization.
Aside from that, you are getting proper anti-static treatment and insulated velvet to eliminate magnetization. In other words, you are getting a sufficient amount of security to keep your watches safe.
As the name goes, it is a 4-watch design, meaning you need to have access to the winding period of each charge. Lucky for you, you are getting that option. The LCD display helps you program the TPD (Turns Per Day) of each watch individually. This implies that you’re getting a sufficient amount of freedom to treat all your watches the way they should be.
Then you have the aspect of noise isolation, which shouldn’t be a problem with the CHIYODA Quad Watch Winder. The Mabuchi motor offers a superior amount of noise isolation, which is one of the best you can currently find. As far as the settings go, you are getting a 12-combinations, with 4-TPD settings and 3-rotational settings.
Finally, the 80mm pillows can easily accommodate almost any size of the watch. Also, you are getting a drawer with 3-individual slots, which comes as an added bonus.
So, you can pretty much see why we are calling it the best quad watch winder. From the design implementation to the execution of technology, there is very little room for nitpicking. So, if you are looking for an extravagant option for your watch collection, then you will obviously be happy with this one.
What we liked
- The design implementation is spot on.
- It comes with a drawer with added storage options.
- The Mabuchi belt-driven motor offers superior noise isolation.
- Mimics your hand movement with proper winding movements and timings.
What needs improvement
- The drawer can’t accommodate different watch sizes.
4. JQUEEN Watch Winder – Best Double Watch Winder
For those of you who are looking for a budget-oriented watch winder with a stunning design footprint, then you may want to have a look at this double watch winder from JQUEEN.
Although there isn’t anything particular to set it aside from some of the previous models we have looked at so far, this particular watch winder makes up for it with its stunning looks. The piano lacquer finish paired with acrylic glass and copper transmission fittings offers a very good value for the money.
Like some of the prominent watch winders, this watch winder also has Japanese Mabuchi motor, which we know offer pretty decent noise cancellation. Also, you are getting 4-modes of operation with 3-directional settings.
One of the things that’s new here is the integration of PU watch pillows, which offer some nice cushioning. Other than that, you are also getting a full handmade watch winder that can easily get the job done.
From what we can gather, this product is a value-oriented option. This handmade double watch winder should be on your shopping list if you don’t want to go all out on a watch winder. In short, you can keep it on your shopping list if you’re looking for the best double watch winder.
What we liked
- It features a luxurious design.
- Uses Japanese belt-driven motor which offers good longevity.
- Noise cancellation performance is good.
- The operation is easy with dual power supply options.
What needs improvement
- Accommodation for large watches may be an issue.
5. Tripple Tree Watch Box – Watch Winder For Rolex
We think the name itself is self-explanatory!
As far as watches go, Rolex is often considered as the holy grail. And if you happen to own a few of these, then we have something in store for you as well.
TRIPLE TREE has been making luxury watch winders for some time now. Even with their growing reputation, they still seem to refuse to make any compromises with their decision making, which is to offer some high-end products at a competitive price point, which is exactly what we were looking for.
Now we are talking about Rolex. So, it is highly unlikely that the owner would want to cheap out on a watch winder. But the overall feature this watch winder offers should be more than enough for you, even at such a price point. As you go on further, you will find out why we are calling it the best winder for Rolex.
Now you are getting all the aristocratic features like a wooden body with a piano-shell finish. The design is very subtle but does offer a significant amount of luxury at first glance. Everything is handmade, which also leaves the mark of a true craftsman.
This watch winder from TRIPLE TREE also features Japanese motors, which, as you all probably know by now, offers great performance. Also, noise isolation isn’t an issue because of the Japanese motor integration and solid gearbox design.
As far as flexibility goes, then you shouldn’t be worried at all. You are getting 4-winder space and 6-leather storage space, which should be plenty. Do keep in mind that you are getting a rotating base with configurable retentions, which not only gives you better access to your watches but also enables you to accommodate a wide range of sizes as well.
So, who should go for it?
Well, we think you have that figured out as well. For those who want a no-compromise watch winder with spectacular design and execution, then this one is for you. So, if you’re interested, then do check it out for yourselves.
What we liked
- The design is subtle but elegant.
- It comes with adequate storage options.
- The retentions allow the user to keep watches of various sizes.
- Noise cancellation is on point.
- Features well-executed craftsmanship.
What needs improvement
- Power efficiency needs improvement.
6. Heiden Winder – Best Automatic Watch Winder
The Heiden Battery Powered Single Watch Winder has a few distinct perks to set it apart from the pack. This specific model is well-suited for automatic watches. As a matter of fact, as you progress, you will find it to be the best automatic watch winder.
As far as the design goes, its good but nothing to fancy. The plastic shell with leather bindings looks nice. Also, the white stitching and clear display complement the overall design really well. So, in the design department, we are giving it a pass.
One of the key features of this single watch winder is the fact that it’s pretty easy to use. You are getting a 4-turns per day setting with either clockwise or anti-clockwise or both rotating features at the same time. Also, the winding time is pretty accurate. So, your automatic watch collection is in safe hands.
This single watch winder has a really decent gearbox design for accommodating the Mabuchi Japanese motor. It is a well-established fact that the Japanese motors are offer quiet operation and can last longer than some of the other motors out there.
Although the product sells itself as a battery-powered device, it can work off an AC adapter as well. But considering the fact that it can run on battery for 3-days is certainly an added bonus.
Finally, the interior spacing paired with spring action pillows lets you have a decent enough experience whenever you are thinking of storing your automatic watches. Overall, the interior space is adequate enough to get you going.
All in all, this single watch winder is something of a mix between quality and performance. Although the pricing may have been a bit better on this, we can certainly recommend it to you because of the overall feature set. So, you may want to check it out for yourself before deciding.
What we liked
- The design is decent.
- It can blend into any environment.
- It isn’t too noisy because of Japanese motor integration.
- It comes with spring-mounted pillows.
- The interior space is adequate to accommodate a large variety of watches.
What needs improvement
- The power adjustment needs some attention.
7. Critiron Watch Winder – Best Value
The makers at CRITIRON pride themselves in being both creative and modern in their execution.
And the luxury watch winder from CRITIRON is no exception. Although the price tag is a bit hefty, we do think it is right in line with some of the competitors for the best value watch winder.
When it comes to the most noteworthy features, the design certainly takes the top spot. The superior craftsmanship is clearly visible in the design execution. The piano lacquer finish topped with a glass display looks spectacular in person. Each and every corner of this watch winder is carefully crafted, leaving absolutely no room for error at all. So, it is one of the winners in our design department.
As far as functionality goes, then we can clearly say, it certainly lives up to the task. You are getting 3-directional settings alongside 5-TPD settings, which is very easy to handle because of the visible LCD display. It also lets you know the on/off status which you may not find even in some of the high-end models out there.
Quiet operation is also one of the perks of this watch winder. The Mabuchi motor paired with a decent gearbox design allows it to run really quietly. Also, because of proper treatment, you’re also getting absolutely no magnetization or any other form of interference, which is crucial for saving your cherished timepiece. Moreover, the 3-adjustable foam cushions give you a lot of headroom to store your watches without any hassle.
All in all, we really do love the execution of this triple watch winder. You are getting what you pay for, so there shouldn’t be any issues if you are planning to go for it. We certainly think it is one of the best choices out there.
What we liked
- The craftsmanship on this is superb.
- Features a stunning design footprint.
- Runs quietly thanks to the carefully designed gearbox.
- Adjustability isn’t a problem thanks to the spacious interior.
- Usability is good thanks to the LCD display.
What needs improvement
- The non-volatile memory doesn’t help with storing your settings.
8. Olymbros Wooden Case – Luxury Watch Winder
OLYMBROS is a relatively new watch winder manufacturer in the industry with a steadily building reputation. And they have something to offer to our readers as well.
The wooden double-rotor watch winder from OLYBROS has one of the best-crafted watch winders we have seen. As far as the execution goes, it certainly deserves a seat with the market leaders. The hardwood exterior incorporates veneer sheets, which makes it durable and long-lasting. The 7-stage manufacturing process also contributes to the overall looks as well.
You are getting the Mabuchi motor with this watch winder as well. So, quiet operation is guaranteed. Also, the settings are really easy to get used to, as the 5-program settings aren’t really hard to set.
Like some of the high-end models out there, you are getting dual power support with this watch winder. You can either get by with an AC adapter or batteries, whichever one suits you the most.
That’s really all that we can say about this wonderful token of craftsmanship. The features are all there. Also, you are getting that beautiful design to house your precious watches. So, considering the overall craftsmanship and features we are calling it the best luxury watch winder.
What we liked
- The design is commendable.
- Precision craftsmanship is guaranteed.
- Well suited for long-term longevity.
- The settings are really easy to use.
- Quiet operation due to the Mabuchi motor integration.
What needs improvement
- The interior spacing isn’t up to the mark.
Before we leave, there are a few things we need to clarify. First of all, this review only highlights the products we think are worthy of your hard-earned cash. They don’t just shine in the design department, but the overall features are certainly well worth your money.
There is one question that needs to be answered as well:
Which is the best watch winder brand?
All the brands we have talked about so far are all up there, fighting to get the first spot. So, in short, all these brands are certainly worth it. In fact, they are currently offering some of the best solutions, which we have talked about extensively.
Finally, if you have been with us till the very end, then we are confident that you will find the product which suits you the most without any hassle. Our short yet handy buying guide should get you along the way just fine.
Good luck with keeping your timepiece safe!
Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q)
1. Should I know the difference between an automatic and a mechanical watch?
Ans: You certainly do!
Now manual watch needs to be winded to keep them functioning properly. But that is not the case with digital watches, as they don’t have to rely on any sophisticated mechanism.
Now the problem arises with the automatic mechanical watches or hybrids. These models typically have a ratchet inside which stores most of the kinetic energy.
This mechanism isn’t at all that fancy and it also does a really good job of keeping your watch at a certain working condition for enough time, allowing you to change your current watch and get on with another model. So, there’s not really much to worry about, but its good to know that it exists.
2. How long can an automatic watch run without use?
Ans: This basically depends on the internal components of your watch and how much tension can they hold in their reserve.
The simplest method to try to figure this out is to put the watch in the winder and find out the reserve by timing it. It is a proven method and has been vetted by pros as well.
3. Is it possible to overwind an automatic watch?
Ans: It is!
As you may know, the watch has many small parts. Now the power reserve is one of the key components, which stores the kinetic energy from your movements. It’s basically spring. When you wind your watch, the energy is transferred into the spring. As the spring unwinds, your watch starts ticking.
Think of it like this, your watch is made of a lot of small moving parts. When you are thinking of winding your watch, you are basically sending a lot of pressure to the spring. And considering the size of the spring, the amount of force is really substantial.
Now you know how easy it is to overwind your watch.
Makers of the watch winders take really precise as to how well can your watch handles the winding. By this, we mean the precise movement your watch requires at certain times of the day, even the watch has been sitting idly in the winder for some time now.
But if you are not careful in setting the proper winding times in your watch winder, then you always run the risk of over-winding the watch. And by over winding, you are damaging the hairspring, which is one of the crucial parts of your watch. And depending on your watch’s design, it may cost you a lot to get it fixed or replaced.
4. Are watch winders noisy?
Ans: Not so much.
Modern designers give a very strong emphasis on making the gearbox as noise-canceling as possible. Also, the motors themselves are pretty low key. So, noise is not something you’d want to give too much thought on.
Read Also: Best Gun Safe Box Review